Saturday, March 12, 2011

One Month Wisdom

As of yesterday, we have officially been in Uganda for ONE MONTH!  Crazy, right?  Honestly, at some moments I can't believe we've actually been here for one month because everything still feels so new and the weeks seem to go by really fast, yet there will be days when I can't believe it's only been one month because it feels like the days can drag on and on.

In order to celebrate my one month anniversary as a Peace Corps Trainee in Uganda, I thought I could share some of the wisdom I've picked up along the way.

  • The dry season really means the dry season: no rain, hot and super dusty.
  • In that same vein, apparently the wet season means downpour in the morning and night.
  • Be patient.  Ugandan time usually means at least 30 minutes if not 2 hours later.
  • Bathe twice per day, otherwise your host mom will ask you 10 times if you've bathed yet.  Plus, it helps with the grime of the dusty roads.
  • Medical sessions are meant to scare you so you never want to leave home.  Just be smart and proactive in taking care of yourself.
  • Talk s l o w l y.  Kind of hard for me, but you'll make yourself understood.  And Ugandans won't have to keep saying what? or pardon? so much.
  • Equatorial sun means hot and strong.  SPF is required.
  • There are 3 types of bananas: very little sweet ones, green ones for cooking and big ones like we have in the states.
  • Chelsea is a very difficult name is say for Ugandans until you remind them of the Chelsea soccer team.
  • Be flexible.  Plans change often, and you'll only be disappointed if you had your heart set on something, like a particular lesson plan.
  • Creativity is HUGE for teaching.  I hope some of these other volunteers will rub off on me.
  • Contacts are an amazing invention, and I miss them very much.
  • Mosquito nets rock and keep me bug free at night.
  • I brought too much and too little all at the same time.
  • Apparently, there is a stereotype that Americans eat a lot of bread.  When my host mom asked me make a meal consisting entirely of bread, I didn't have a clue where to start.
  • Chacos are super cool and one of the best things I brought with me.
  • Sadly there is a notion that all African Americans and Africans are ostracized in America and mistreated.  Although there are still many racial issues and divides in America, I couldn't believe how Ugandas perceived American diversity.  It's difficult to convince them otherwise too.
  • 20 liter jerry can is freaking heavy.  Let's do the math: 20 L of water means 20 kilograms (yes, 1 L of water is 1 Kg, that's the miracle of the metric system), and 20 Kg is 44 lbs.  Can you imagine carrying two 44 lb jerry cans any further than 50 m?  No, and I haven't had to do it yet.
  • Ugandans tell time differently than we do!  Because the time that the sun rises and sets never changes, 7 am is considered the first hour of the day, and 7 pm is considered the first hour of the night.  So currently is 3:42 pm, which means it's the 9th hour of the day.  Minutes aren't important, which could better explain Ugandan time.
  • Be positive.  It makes things like waiting, plan changing and surprises less of a concern.
  • Journal takes a lot of energy, which I should have known because I've been a journaler before, but when you're so tired from these longs days, it can be a challenge to stay awake and productively journal.
  • Ugandan students all have great handwriting, including the boys!  So that means American boys must be able to learn to write neater.
  • Greetings are one of the most important things to Ugandans.  Therefore, I know how to in three different languages so far.
  • Peace Corps likes to give a lot of books and papers.  I have a huge stack already in the corner of my room.  Haven't exactly gotten through it yet... or really started.
  • I love all fruit.
  • Gardening here should be relatively easy.  Apparently the soil is so fertile and the rains so consist that gardening is mostly left to nature.
  • Many Ugandans completely acknowledge global climate change and speak passionately about the need for action.  They claim it's why the wet/dry seasons are no longer predictable.  It's March, and it should be raining by now.
  • Communication is key.  Thankfully, people can't read my mind, so I need to tell them what's going on and how I'm feeling.
  • Cultural sensitivity is the most important aspect to being a successful and well integrated volunteer.  It's also really uncomfortable when people aren't so much.
  • Drawings can go a long way.  It's easier than trying to wave around with your hands like an idiot.
  • Yogurt exists here, and I love it.  Although it was a little strange at first to drink it out of a bag.
  • Ugandans know so much more about American and world politics than I do.
  • Peace Corps is to promote world peace and friendship.  Should have known that... didn't though.
Of course, there is so much more to learn and I'm looking forward to the next 26 months!

5 comments:

  1. How many of your readers know what "chacos" are??? We miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what "chacos" are......

    ReplyDelete
  3. two things:

    (1)thanks for doing the math for me:)
    (2) I know that they have no idea what a filibuster; it is easily be confused with the commonly known nuclear option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugandans know so much more about American and world politics than I do.

    I never thought I would see the day you admitted something like this. Especially to this many people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chacos are sandals!

    And Grant- I must be growing up or something right?

    ReplyDelete