Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Times are a Changing... Right?

I could be wrong, but I think everyone thinks that by the end of the two years, Peace Corps will have changed them in some way. Now, only being seven months in, I may be jumping the gun so I guess I'll have to address this issue again 19 months down the road, but I often think Peace Corps changes us in ways we don't expect. And on the flip side, it leaves parts of us untouched.

Yes, there are some things about me that have changed. I'm going to be honest with you all back home, so just remember not to judge me... because sometimes I judge myself a little.

1. It's perfectly normal to wash your hands in dirty dish water to conserve water.
2. Despite my usual stress about always being on time, here being 30 minutes late is perfectly acceptable, so I take advantage of this rule frequently. If I actually wanted to follow the culture, I'd be two hours late.
3. I have this uncontrollable need to bargain anything I buy.
4. Unless it's a really big one, I tend to leave cockroaches and spiders alone. What's the point? They'll always be there.
5. I always say my questions backwards, such as "You are doing what?" or "You are called what?" It's how the local language is structured, so you get your point across more quickly.
6. I flinch and get stressed at any noise that could possibly be a slap or a child being caned.
7. I greet everyone I see. In university, I used to wear headphones when I walked to class to avoid saying hi to people.
8. I expect people to say Madam to me. If they don't, I consider it very rude.
9. Any thighs showing is extremely offensive. I'm offended!
10. Following number 9, I feel more comfortable the longer my skirt is. Unless I am in a large town or exercising, I feel really indecent in pants.
11. I keep my phone on a ringer because I don't want to miss any phone calls. At home, I kept my phone on vibrate, and yes, John-Paul, I knew how much it bothered you.
12. I am constantly on the defense, expecting to be cheated, waiting for the inevitable mzungu comment, watching people around me, keeping my arms near my bag, etc.
13. I almost forget what night time is like because I'm always in my house by 7 pm.
14. I've found that I'm really passionate about women's empowerment, particularly reproductive health rights.
15. I've discovered that I'm actually kind of a good teacher, and I really enjoy being with the students.
16. Even more than before, I've found more ways to make a complete fool of myself and loving it. People from home may be skeptical if I could really be more silly, considering this is the girl that used to skip down the aisles of the grocery stores as she sang. Well, the other day, after a school won their football match, they made a "line of victory" where they wanted the losing school to have to walk through their two lines of shouting and yelling children. Instead, I ran through it, pumping my fists above my arms. Believe me, those kids were shocked.
17. I can spend a lot of time alone, and be ok with it. Actually, I really look forward to it now.
18. I've gotten used to the idea that things are very flexible, and I should expect plan changes. Every day this week I was supposed to have workshops... alas. They've been "pushed."
19. Despite my entire intention of Peace Corps- learning about international development because it would eventually become my career- I've decided I don't want to be involved in international development. More on that another time I guess.
20. Hey, I've developed quite a knack for blogging, don't you think?

On the other hand, I remember the advice of a current Peace Corps volunteer as we were preparing to leave, "You're not going to pick up new hobbies here. If you don't play guitar, don't bring one." Seemed like good advice right? Then, why did a lot of us not follow it? Why did we think that just because we're in the Peace Corps, we're going to start enjoying things that we previously ignored or even abhorred. Even I fell prey to this bizarre expectation through Peace Corps was going to overcome some well established Chelsea characteristics.

Some people say I exaggerate- you know who you are, but I think they would also agree when I say that I am not, in any way, shape or form, a morning person. God, I hate mornings. Especially before I've had breakfast. This is horribly embarrassing, but my brother, John-Paul may be the only one who truly respects morning Chelsea. Whenever I stayed at his house, he would make sure that there was plenty of every possible breakfast food I may be craving that particular day. Once he saw that the Chelsea beast was actually stirring, he would leave the house! Our unspoken agreement: after I had finished my breakfast and coffee, I would find him on the patio so he knew it was safe. John-Paul really took all measures to avoid any possible Chelsea wrath. He was also concerned for others, so he did the public service of warning people, including my then new boyfriend. Thanks J-P. It's true though, I need at least 30 minutes to just sit and accept the fact, that yes, I'm awake, and yes, I need to do something.

Why is this important? A lot of Peace Corps volunteers get up at 6 am, and well, I assume they start their day or something. Who in the world wants to be up that early?! I do have hopes that someday, maybe when I'm actually a grown up, I'll be able to wake up. I guess, I'll eventually have to if I ever want to hold a real job. Still- why did I think that just because I joined Peace Corps, I would actually become one of this morning freaks that I never understood? Actually, I would have less success here because I'm basically on my own and set my own schedule. So, yes, most days I go to sleep at about 11 pm and wake up at 8 am. I do believe my sleep habits can also be attributed to the fact that my room may as well be a cave because the window is closed by a shutter, which lets no morning light in. I could sleep until noon and not know the difference.

Now that we've established it's bogus that I should ever wake up before 7 am, we can probably establish my insanity when I truly thought I would be happy getting up at 6:15 am for a morning run. What was I thinking?! You may be shocked to know that I did actually manage this feat for a few weeks; however, every morning, I would basically be swearing under my breath. You would think that once I got out the door, all that anger would be carried away. Actually, I think it intensified. I was pissed that I wasn't in my comfortable bed. Once I got back and bathed, I would actually get back in bed! If only for a few minutes to savour what I had dearly missed.

Don't get me wrong. I really like running, and I feel much better physically, emotionally and mentally if I'm exercising. I really believe that it keeps me on the saner side of life. So, after months of saying every night, I'm going to run tomorrow, and yet I wouldn't set the alarm clock, I finally realized there was something wrong with this situation. As I walked home this afternoon, I thought, hey, why don't I go for a run now? Well, every Peace Corps volunteer will tell you the same two reasons: it's hot and there's a lot of people out! True, it is hot, but in the evening, there's a lot of shade on my running path, and it's not even close to how hot St. Louis was. And, yeah, there's a lot of people, but they already think I'm crazy, so who cares?

So yes, I went for an afternoon run. Unfortunately, there were some moments when it felt like I was drinking it steam, but the further I ran, the later it got. By the end of my run, the weather was perfectly pleasant. As I began my run, I did "run into" a lot of people, who either stared, whistled or joined in for a few 100 meters. But, as I continued, I realized that there were about the same number of people around. Plus, the children were tired by this point and didn't try to race me. If I keep it up, I'm sure people will eventually get bored with the crazy lady who calls herself Madam Chelsea. If not, I'm happy to be their "running joke." Pun INTENDED!

2 comments:

  1. Haha still not a morning person?! oh well ill trade that for the being ok with bugs part=)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will always love "morning" chels.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete