Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy Birthday Stache


I hope everyone remembers this lovely face; if not, let me remind you.  Before I left the states for my Peace Corps service, my younger brother, Grant, vowed to maintain a mustache for as long as I was in Uganda.  As of Saturday, Grant's mustache celebrated its one year birthday, which means I've officially been in Uganda for one year.  Earlier in the year, I got a phone call from Grant and asked him for an update on his 'stache.  "Well, when I tell people that I'm growing my mustache for two year, people say 'Man, that's so gnarly.'  Chels, I always tell them, 'No, what my sister doing is gnarly.'"  As one of my Peace Corps goals of service, I'm expected to teach (or at least raise awareness to) Americans about Uganda, and I think Grant's mustache has been one of the most unique ways to do that!  One of my favorite stories about his mustache: some girl asked Grant about his mustache.  Upon hearing Uganda, the girl exclaimed that she had toured through Uganda, and insisted that I must be living in the most beautiful country.  (Yes, Uganda is beautiful, but I'm not living at the Bujagali Falls Resort.)  Grant tried to argue with her that while it may be beautiful, I was living the village life, but the girl refused to believe that I could be even mildly uncomfortable.  Finally, Grant ended the conversation by saying "My sister lives in a concrete box!"  Thanks for standing up for my Peace Corps service, Grant!  Fetching water ain't no vacation.  Throughout the year, I've been amazed by and so grateful for the support I get from home: the costly skype phone calls, the awesome care packages, the emails, the blog views and comments, everything.  Peace Corps is all about challenging your expectations.  I certainly never expected to be supported by a mustache and to be so appreciative of one!

In a lot of ways, the last year has completely flown by.  In a lot of the ways, the year has completely dragged on.  In training, a volunteer told us, "The days go by so slow, but the months go by fast."  It didn't make any sense at the time, but it's totally true.  I've had so many days that seem to last forever, and I'm just waiting for the sun to set so I can go home; but I still can't believe it's already February.  By this time next year, I'll know the exact date of my return to America, which will most likely be in March or April.

Although I would love to say that I'm completely adjusted and that I never freak out, it would be a lie.  Just the other night, I had to abruptly end a phone call with my mom because I was convinced that there was a rat trying to snuggle up with me in bed and I couldn't find my flashlight.  Thankfully, I didn't have any snuggle buddies that night, but I was still tripping out.  I don't scream when I see a cockroach, but I'm not pleased when one scampers across my feet.  In fact, I think I've become more sensitive to certain things.  I have gotten in heated arguments with taxi conductors trying to rip me off because I am a foreigner.  I've lived here for a year- I know the prices!  If I'm in my village, I have little patience for the "Mzungu Mzungu" song that every Ugandan child seems to know.  I have even less patience for adults addressing me as mzungu.  Despite these small challenges, I have managed to create a mostly comfortable lifestyle in my village where most people know my name- Negesa!

When most people think of Peace Corps, they think that volunteers must be selfless people.  In practice, a selfless volunteer usually ends up becoming an unhappy volunteer.  Over the last year, I've learned that it's impossible to completely put your needs or wants aside for Peace Corps.  Of course you can't be needing hot showers every day, but there are certain things volunteer must do for themselves to remain, well, sane.  A volunteer that doesn't take care of themselves, physically and emotionally, won't be able to accomplish very much.  And usually isn't very fun to be around for anyone!  It took me a while to figure out how to make me happy and healthy, but I think I've found a good balance between Chelsea and Negesa.  Chelsea needs oatmeal with Jif peanut butter in the mornings, exercise in the evenings, keeping up with her journal, talking to PCVs and people from home, watching the occasional (or many) Friends episodes, reading books, wearing trousers outside the village, traveling on some weekends and her iPod on the taxis.  I still have good days and bad days, but at least now I know how to manage my bad days with some TV, hot cocoa or a phone call.  And that I always have the freedom to claim a mental health day.

I have a pretty good idea of what the next year will bring, but I am sure I will have to remain flexible because Peace Corps has taught me not to rely too heavily on any expectation.  Still, I hopefully will accomplish a number of programs that I feel really strongly about and get to enjoy all the friends I've made in the last year.

Thanks for all the support I've had from you all at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment