Saturday, July 16, 2011

Play Ball

When I was growing up, I played soccer and tennis, and I was never one of those kids that defined life by sports.  I can remember my only year on a travel soccer team was miserable.  All anyone cared about was winning, even if that meant that some of the girls didn't play or got yelled at for making a bad pass.  Practices made me feel horrible about myself and my abilities.  That's just not any fun.  So, I played house soccer for a few years after that.  And, wow, that was fun.  Of course, I never took any of the practices seriously.  I spent most of my time either talking or just dancing on the field, for which I always had to do laps.  That's ok.  Since I was one of the tallest girls, I could out run most of the defenders and still score for our team.  I have a very distinct memory of being an 11 year old, playing a really "intense" tennis match, yet all I was thinking about was how silly it must look to people that all our energy is focused on chasing some small yellow ball.  Like a Labrador or something!  My serve was never the strongest part of my game, and I only had a shot if I was singing a rap song in my head.  Even as the president of my club tennis team in college, I know I really pissed people off because I thought that the game should be about having a good time, not winning.  Needless to say, I know my view is unique, that most people completely disagree with me, and if winning wasn't an option, then they wouldn't be playing sports.

That being said, I sometimes wondered what the benefits of playing sports could even be for children, beyond exercise of course.  In youth hockey, I've watched coaches yelling at children to get the "f*#% off the ice", all the while the coach is spitting chew.  I've watched my team members sulk for 24 hours after a loss.  I've heard girls cursing my name on the court as a kindly ask them to repeat the score.  So, I have to ask myself, what's the point and how do these games affect our children?

I can't say I'm a complete convert, but the last week has made quite an impression.  Currently, it's the games and sports season in Uganda, which means the schools are gearing up for district competitions.  I watched my first official netball game.  Netball? you Americans might ask.  Yes netball.  It's the only sport played here that's girls only.  Netball is a very bizarre mix of ultimate frisbee and basketball.  The game is played with a volley ball, which is passed between your seven team members.  Once you have the ball, you can't move though.  You have to pass.  The objective is to shot into a hoop, kind of like basketball.

This netball game I watched on Monday was amazing on so many levels.  First of all, the atmosphere was intense.  The field is about the size of a tennis court, which was completely surrounded by children, at least three kids deep.  I did go to a lame college, sports wise anyway (sorry WashU, but it's true), and I never remember any of games having this many spectators.  Sad, but true.  And it wasn't just children watching.  All kinds of community members were there, including high school students, fathers, mothers, siblings too young to go to school, the reverand, etc.  It was so awesome to see the community come out to support their children.  Then, once the girls started playing, the school spirit was tangible.  The crowd would go nuts when the girls made good passes, not to mention the dancing and shouting that would ensue when they scored.  It's been a long time since I ever felt that invested in a sports game.  Maybe it's because I felt like these were my girls, and I wanted this win for them.  I don't think they needed my well wishing.  They destroyed the opposing team, 7-0.  Just watching my usually shy and passive P-6 and P-7 girls dominate on the field and be so confident filled me awe.  So I walked away wondering, wow, did I underestimate the power of sports?

With nothing to do yesterday afternoon, after a long work week, I thought, maybe I should give this whole netball thing a try.  I didn't even know if they would really let me play.  Their practice games after school are always taken really seriously, and I didn't want to get in the way.  But no, they were estastic to teach Madam Chelsea how to play netball.  Because all the girls were wearing their pink school uniforms, the only way to tell teams apart is for one team to put their belts around their heads.  I was on the belts team, so I put my headband around my head too, ninja style.  I can't say I've mastered the sport yet, but they were amazing to see an adult jumping around and running back and forth.  The girl I was guarding could never get the ball because I am so tall that I could intercept any pass.  I know that I shouldn't pride myself on beating a child, but hey, I was at least teaching her how to get around a tall defender...?  Anyway, I wasn't exactly taking the game seriously, as I danced around and laughed whenever I messed up.  It was new to hear people passing to me yelling "MADAM!"  But, I got used to it.  I admired the sport because there was no way to be a ball hog.  You have to pass and work together to score.  At least we're working on teamwork.

So, at one point in the game, when I wasn't paying any particular attention, I realize, Oh no, what's happening?  My girls were screaming at each other in Lunyole.  So not only was I kind of zoning out, I don't understand the rules exactly or the language.  But, I do know that there are two visiting schools waiting for their turn to play their district games on our fields watching my girls ripping each other apart.  Sigh.  What could I do?  Against my better judgement, I walked into the middle of the crossfire as the girls are trying to pry the ball out of each other's hands.  "Girls... Girls..."  I was completely ignored.  Thankfully, as many of you know, I can yell louder than the average person.  "GIRLS!!!"  Well, at least I got their attention.  As I asked them to all come together, I think their anger started to subside into curiousity.  Suddenly, I was surrounded not only by the girls playing, but by any child that attends my school.  I gently explained that we don't yell at our sisters, and that's no way to solve an argument.  Plus, they are setting bad example for the younger students, and how we present ourselves at Butaleja Integrated.  I told them that the visiting teams were watching us, and they're going to go home and say, "Ah, Butaleja Integrated, muli ne pista mbi" (You all have bad manners).  They loved it, and at least didn't fight again for the rest of the game.

I now have seen that netball can teach these girls some important life skills, including communication, team work, participation and compromising.  I just wonder if their teachers are using these key opportunities to teach them these things.  Because I hope to be that guiding hand if possible, I plan to play with them at least once a week.  And, hey, I had fun too!

So, yes, sports can be a very positive influence in a child's life.  But, I wonder if our coaches and teachers, even in America, are really being the role models and guidance counsellors we need them to be?  If not, it may be encouraging some very negative behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment