Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blogging on the Bandwagon


Wednesday morning, I jumped on Facebook for a little post-breakfast surfing before I headed off to school.  Imagine my surprise when I see Facebook flooded with one link “Kony 2012.”  Upon first glance, I incredulously thought, “Can’t be related to Uganda, to the LRA, to Kony.  Must be yet another fad I haven’t heard of yet,” when in fact, it’s the one new fad that I already knew all about.

I’m sure I’m going to get a lot of harsh responses to this blog post, particularly because I have not seen the YouTube video.  Hey, internet’s too slow for me download a 25 minute video.  For eating up all that bandwidth, I’d much rather Skype to Nathan than blow it downloading something that I already know.  I want to preface my post with the following:

1.     Nope, I have not seen the video
2.     Nope, I don’t plan on seeing it any time soon
3.     Most Ugandans have not seen the video (as in probably about 98%)
4.     These are my very humble opinions


I find it incredibly sad that the “masses” are finally learning about Joseph Kony and the LRA, despite the fact that this conflict began nearly 25 years ago and Kony is no longer in Uganda.  I want to emphasize that point: the LRA are no longer active in Northern Uganda and have not been for some time.  We have Peace Corps volunteers in the North!  Although the North is riddled with physical, emotional and social damages caused by prolonged fighting and fear, Northern Ugandans are no longer in danger.  I do not mean to say that we should give up and allow Kony to enjoy freedom.  I simply want to show that the hype is a little late.  A few years late.

And that is not for lack of trying.  I can assure you that the LRA have appeared on international news more than once in the last 25 years.  I know there are at least a few books that reveal the hell that Northern Uganda faced.  Even the Academy Award winning documentary, War Dance, explores the aftermath of the LRA and the North’s recovery (I highly recommend this movie, particularly after all Uganda’s bad press).  This was not some secret.

Regardless, I will admit that it is a step forward that the LRA have finally gotten on people’s radar.  But, now, what’s the next step?  Taping up posters and throwing stickers all over American cities?  Sadly, I think that will in the following:

1.     An unnecessary environmental disaster.  Why must trees suffer when millions were reached through YouTube and Facebook?  Need paper to write a letter to the Senate?  Fine.
2.     Little increase in awareness.  If people haven’t heard it on the radio, seen it on TV or watched it online, I doubt they go outside.
3.     Satisfaction on part of the “activists.”  Ahhhh, now, I’ve done something about that wily Kony war criminal.  Back to my XBOX.  Finally!
4.     The US can only do so much about the situation.  It’s an international problem that involves that least five countries: Uganda, South Sudan, North Sudan, Central African Republic and Democratic Republic of Congo.  A very complicated situation not hastened by vandalism in major American cities.

Now that I have effectively torn apart the fad solution, I’ll present my suggestions.  They are merely suggestions, so take them with a grain of salt.

1.     Become more informed on the LRA, Kony and Uganda before taking any further action.  A 25-minute video is not enough to understand the situation completely.
2.     Before ever making a donation, investigate the agency to see where your donation is going.  Many agencies use donations to fund internal costs, which may not be the most effective use of your money.  Also, be aware that corruption is an international problem, particularly in many developing countries.
3.     After being a Peace Corps Volunteer, I have seen that foreign aid creates aid dependency.  I call it the “Gimme Gimme Syndrome” because people learn to look outside themselves for the solution, when they may be able to solve it for themselves.  Interested in the concept?  Read Dead Aid.  Still interested in investing internationally?  Look for sustainable investments that have community involvement and support.  Microfinance, capacity building, education, etc.
4.     Still stuck on donating internationally, and now feel lost?  Keep those checkbooks and credit card numbers handy.  I’ll have a donation opportunity coming up in a few months to fund the next Camp GLOW.
5.     Travel!  I may mock tourists while being in Uganda, but visiting developing countries builds their economy.  Uganda was voted the top tourist destination of 2012!  Once called “the pearl of Africa,” it offers hiking, rafting, safaris, gorilla tracking and more.  By spending money, you’re helping Uganda establish an industry, but I’m sure you’ll buy handcrafts as souvenirs, which are usually made by local women’s groups.  Plus, if you’re a friend, I’d be happy to show you around or at least give you some good travel advice.
6.     Invest domestically.  No, I’m not comparing Ugandan’s problems to the LRA, but we could use some improvement too.  There are plenty of organizations that are doing great work and can guarantee good use of your funds.  Donate to The Boys and Girls Club, The Miracle Network, The Salvation Army, YMCA, etc.
7.     Volunteer locally or internationally.  Obviously I’m a huge advocate for volunteering; otherwise I wouldn’t dedicate two and a half years of my 20s to do so.  Again, there are a lot of opportunities in every American city or town.  I was a Big Sister for three years, and it was one of the most rewarding experiences.  Volunteering doesn’t have to be a huge commitment.  There are plenty of one day events that need a hand.  Check out www.volunteer.org to find some organizations in your area.  Volunteering internationally can be amazing, but beware!  Unless you devote at least one year, expect that you’ll have to pay to volunteer.  The fee pays for staff support, room and board, transportation, etc.  Now, there are many organizations.  Personally, I’ve travelled with WorldTeach and Projects Abroad.
8.     Pressure our government to improve the American education system so our youth is more involved and interested in international politics and events.  As an international “Super Power,” our youth pays very little attention to anything beyond the US.  It is sad that it took a Facebook sensation to finally catch their attention.  Our education system is falling behind anyway.  We are no longer leading the world in math, science or even English.  We need to invest in our children by investing in our teachers and schools.
 
I’m jumping off my soapbox now.  Feel free to respond.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! No middle-of-the-road for our girl!! We back you 100%!!! We love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your soapbox...you can get on it anytime! I'm going to make my co-worker read this who donated $ to this malarkey.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete